Zucchini / cougette is a type of squash available in summer in USA. I did not know that it is also called seemai sorakkai in India. I have never eaten in before I came abroad. I have made a simple vegetable dish with onion and channal dal which my kids love. Yes, sorry, i have never bothered to post that on my blog. Zucchini has a lot of water and can get easily over cooked which has happened to me ehile making kootu !
I have also made Zucchini Rice which tastes nice which you can check it out.
This time i made a moor kootan with Zucchini and we all loved it. Here is the recipe!
- 1 zucchini washed and cut in big chunks
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt/ thayir whisked
- 2-3 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp rice
- 1/4 tsp jeera
- 1 green chili
- small piece of ginger ( optional)
To Temper/ tadka/ thallika
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil ( or nay oil)
- 1/2 tsp kadugu/ mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp vendhayam/ fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafetida/ hing
- few curry leaves
- In a bowl add 3/4 cup water, pieces of zuke, turmeric powder, salt and cook till zucchini is just soft. as I warned you it can get mushy pretty fast, so keep an eye on the cooking time.
- Grind all the ingredients under to grind with little water to a fine paste and set aside.
- add the whisked yogurt, ground paste to the cooked zucchini.
- adjust salt to taste.
- Heat on low flame till the mixture gets frothy around the sides, turn the heat off
- in another pan, add oil and temper with kadugu, vendhayam, asafetida, curry leaves and por it on the zuke curry.
Serve hot with rice, potato fry or as a side dish for idli, dosa or adai