Fenugreek greens or mendhiya keerai is widely used in the Indian cuisine. The seeds, green leaves and dries leaves are used in cooking. It has a distinctive sweet smell and the seeds are pretty bitter.
It is thought to have a lot of medicinal value to improve glucose tolerance in diabetics. Did you know it can increase milk production in nursing mothers too!
Aloo methi is a very simple dry curry/ subzi which is easy to put together. I used half a bunch that I got from the Indian store.
- Potatoes 4-5 peeled and cubed medium
- Water enough to cook the potatoes
- Methi leaves ( washed, picked and chopped ) 1 cup
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 red chilli
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds / kadugu
- 1/2 tsp urad dal/ ulutham paruppu
- 1/8 tsp asafetida or 3 squirts from the bottle
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder ( increase as per taste)
- 1/2 tsp pav bhaji masala or amchur powder ( optional)
- Salt to taste
- In a pan add the potatoes, cover with enough water . Add a pinch of salt and the turmeric powder and cook till they are soft, but not mushy. You can microwave them with water too. Drain water and set aside
- In another pan, add oil and add the mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilli, asafetida and do the tempering.
- Add the methi leaves and sauté them till the wilt.
- Add the cooked potatoes, red chilli powder, salt, red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala and toss.
- On medium to low heat, cover the pan and cook tossing in between to roast the potatoes.
- To get some crispness, spray some cooking oil on the potatoes.
- Cook on low fire till potatoes are golden and crispy.
- Serve hot with rice, chapathi or top it over bread toast.